Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Don't Know Why You Say Goodbye, I Say Hello


So I recently caught the end of the the 1977 "The Goodbye Girl"on television, and then decided to watch the whole movie again because I remembered how much I love it. I have never been a huge fan of Richard Dreyfuss, but watching this again when I am past my phase where I think in order to be hot you had to look like Leonardo DiCaprio (oh, Titanic, how you messed with my fickle 14 year old self), he is definitely rising on my list of stars. He is not what you would call really handsome I don't think, but I have to say that his role in "The Goodbye Girl" is so wonderful, and he is so charming in it, that I can see how anyone would be attracted to him (hello Elliot Garfield!). He's so cute in that movie, and you just don't expect it because come on, it's Richard Dreyfuss.

Neil Simon, who wrote the play that this movie is a version of, is probably one of the best playwrights of modern stage/film. His work is infused with wit and humor, and has an incredible sense of lightness while dealing with serious, everyday issues. It is my belief that you only get through the hard times with laughter and optimism, so obviously his work attracts me.

For example, the scene where Paula gets her purse and all her money stolen, Neil Simon lightens it up with Elliot's personality making it amusing for the viewers, even though Paula is about to break down. However, she picks herself up and tries to find a solution, which is very admirable and real for a woman in the situation she is in in the film.

Anyway, I don't have much criticism. I love this movie that is about two people who are not beautiful in the way that movies about two people starring Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are. They are normal people in normal(ish) situations who try so hard that you can't not like them. I give this movie 5 stars out of 5, it might become one of my favorite comedies, and is also moving up on my favorite movies list. That scene with Marsha Mason in the face mast when Elliot has just gotten punched, and he finally makes a move is one of the most romantic scenes that I have ever seen on film.

2 comments:

  1. Richard Dreyfuss definitely has some things going for him in this one.

    ReplyDelete