Friday, April 10, 2009

Look at the 'fro!!

Godspell vs. Jesus Christ Superstar

Well, I figured since Easter is upon us, what better time to compare two musicals about the final days of Jesus Christ. Now if you’re not religious, this post might not be for you, but if you are interested in my take on these two films, by all means keep reading.

Both of these films are based on stage musicals and were made into films in the seventies, as is quite apparent from the mis-en-scene and costuming of the films (e.g. Jesus has an afro in “Godspell”, and see Judas’s awesome fringe in “Jesus Christ Superstar”. Note also, the colors used in both). I’m not sure if these films are the subject of intense debate as to which one is better, but don’t worry, you’ll get my opinion.

Let me start off by saying that I like both of these films. Who can say that the electric guitar and range requirements for the music of “Jesus Christ Superstar” is not impressive, and quite typical of an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical? The music of “Godspell” is somewhat simpler in scope, and not quite as dramatic in a lot of ways. However, when I was living in Scotland, and was part of a Catholic Society of a local church, we did a production of “Godspell” with the youth group. We talked a bit about why we chose “Godspell” over “Jesus Christ Superstar”, and the leader of the group, Catrina, said that she liked “Godspell” better because it was closer to the Gospels than “Jesus Christ Superstar”. Some of the stories are taken directly from those four books, and it is true that “Jesus Christ Superstar” takes some liberties with the interpretation of the story. Personally I don’t mind this, because they have some interesting takes on the story, and there are some ideas that they posit that I kind of like.

However, I like the inclusion of actual parables and lessons that were part of Jesus’ teachings as they are set forward in the Gospels—it really helps give a connection to the actual religion that I like quite a bit. Also, another aspect of “Godspell” that I like quite a bit is that it somehow builds a relationship between Jesus and his disciples that focuses on his humanity and divinity at the same time, whereas I feel that “Jesus Christ Superstar” really focuses on his divinity, and his leadership. In “Godspell”, he has a much more personal relationship with the other characters around him through their interaction in the songs, with each of the characters getting their own song in which they interact with him. (Plus, in one of my own little quips with everything, there equal parts for women in “Godspell”, whereas in “Jesus Christ Superstar” there is only Mary Magdalene). The characters in “Godspell” are not set characters of the Bible—the characters are named after the original people who played them in the musical. This allows for a greater connection of the audience with the characters, and thus the story.

Anyway, to wrap up, I love both, and while “Jesus Christ Superstar” might be more challenging vocally and musically, “Godspell” takes home the prize for my favorite. I also have a special place for it in my heart because I was a part of a small production in Scotland, like I said, which was one of my favorite experiences from being over there. Opening night (the only time we performed for money), the 15 year old boy playing Jesus had a serious case of stage fright and forgot half of his lines, which ended up cutting off about half an hour of the production. We had a prompter behind the curtains of the elementary school cafeteria stage, but since every line started with “Now I tell you this”, he wasn’t that much help. Anyway, I digress. Perhaps the best way to describe it would be to say that I think “Godspell” can be watched about any time, but “Jesus Christ Superstar” really seems like a Good Friday movie to me. I like the simplicity of the music in “Godspell”, I think it fits with the story well. I like the generic nature of the setting and the characters, allowing for greater attachment to the story. I just have to say while I like both of them, if you’re planning on only watching one this Easter season, I would choose Godspell (which also features a very young Victor Garber as Jesus Christ).

1 comment:

  1. so aren't you going to buy Godspell so we can watch it? I have to say l love the young Victor Garber-Jesus too, but Ted Neely rocks!

    ReplyDelete